Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 21 January 2015

Great News- my great grandfather John

21th January 2015

Today at my place is Grandmother's Day and tomorrow is Grandfather's Day. My maternal and paternal grandparents were not born on Poland. They were born in USA and France and they spent their childhood and early teenagers years there. Later they came back to their homeland but some of them were dissatisfied with their homeland. I understood them WWI, WWII and communism so they have experienced poverty and hunger. Terrible times..

I can say I didn't know my grandparents because they died when I was under ten. Only my paternal grandmother French born died when I was an adult.

I love family history and as my ancestors travelling. I have decided to write a book about my family. As I know it is going to be a serious challenge.

Two weeks ago I discovered where my great grandparent John died thanks to my distant cousin who lives in Florida.




John escaped from Poland because he wanted to avoid WWI.  So he reached US and  his aunts who lived there helped him to find a job. I believe he missed his family. He worked as a steel worker and because of the hard working condition he died from pneumonia. I don't know know what about his grave. 

If John could speak he would write a poem..


 Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there; I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sun on ripened grain,
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight. 
I am the soft stars that shine at night. 
Do not stand at my grave and cry, 
I am not there; I did not die.


Coatesville and the cementary where my Dear John stayed forever. I hope so he rests peacefully and dreaming about their family who live oversea . And finally He is waiting for me. Be sure I am going to visit you... Now I have decided it is the most important for me.

And You are happy John because your son Sygmund who was 3 is with you on the same graveyard. 
RIP...

13 comments:

  1. it will be a task to research the stories of your ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story of memorial, Gosia. Best of luck with you book and thanks for linking in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's wonderful to do the research and write that book so everyone who comes after you will have that to cherish. How sad about your grandfather...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ancestors are part of our persoinal life..

      Delete
  4. Good luck with writing about your family.
    Family history is interestin.
    The poem, I have seen before and it's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've seen that poem before too. I like it a lot. Good luck with your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so I will find time to do it shortly

      Delete
  6. Very exciting! We've been talking of a trip to Poland to explore some of the places my American ancestors came from, while you're talking of a trip to America for the same purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mitchell, so our goals are the sam,e so it is interesting

      Delete
  7. That is a very nice poem! Glad you were able to find the information about your great grandfather! I have been studying my family tree lately as well, and it's always thrilling to find some new information! All the best in your continued studies. Writing a book sounds like quite the undertaking, but I'm sure your descendents will appreciate it. I wish more of my ancestors had written things down.

    ReplyDelete