Powered By Blogger

Monday 5 May 2014

The Błonia

5 th May 2014


It's May the busiest month for me as a teacher.
Firstly it's the month when we organise school trips at place and international ones. So next week I am going to the Polish mountains with my students at the weekend. Secondly I am going to Comenius project to Germany (Stuttgart) with students. We will be 8 days there. What's more I am an examiner for Central Examination Board so this weekend I am working.
So my private life is ruined and not interesting. And the last the first week in June I am going to London and Brighton with 48 students. Luckily I can take my daughter.

Now let's come back to Cracow my favourite city which I have visited many times and I am not bored.
The Błonia is the largest European meadow (48 ha) located in the heart of the city. The site can be found in the pages of the history of Poland as early as in 1162. At that time Jaksa of Miechow, a fabulously rich Cracow magnate, donated his estate in the Zwierzyniec suburb to the Convent of Premonstratensian Sisters. He did to receive god's blessing for his pilgrimage to the Holy Land.

According to chronicles, the meadow was the venue for gathering to welcome 1254 envoys from Assisi who brought the Pope's bull declaring the Stanislavus of Szczepanow the first Polish Saint.






During centuries the Błonia the grass -field area of several dozens hectares was also a venue for other important events. In 1894 the first football match was here.
It was also the first Holy Mass celebrated by Pope in 1978. But the most important for Cracovians and strangers you can relax here.

11 comments:

  1. It is great to have such a large open area on the edge of the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in the U.S., May was a very busy time because it was the last full month before the school year ended. We went on field trips too, but not overnight ones. Have a wonderful time with your students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, what wonderful school excursions! You and the kids there are very lucky, to be able to visit such wonderful places.
    I love that meadow in the first picture - how beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your private life may be ruined and not interesting for you but, for me, your travels will be fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right there are pros and cons. But I have long holidays and I believe it would be nice time with my students .

      Delete
  5. Sounds as if you are going to have an interesting time.
    Lovely open spaces in the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think anyone who hasn't been a teacher realizes how much work goes into taking students on trips away from school, and it's always our own time we sacrifice. But, trips with students are fun and an opportunity to get to know them outside of school, with many memories to be made.
    That sure is a huge open area within a city, and beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you are right there is a lot of documents connected with trips especially abroad ones. Ant the whole responsibility rested on my shoulders. But I believe it will be OK .I do it every year so I am experienced person.

      Delete