Powered By Blogger

Thursday 27 November 2014

Oscypek - the regional mountain cheese which is famous around the European Union.


28th November 2014

I love cheese but I can say I admire oscypek why because it is different from other types of cheese.

Oscypek, is a smoked cheese made of salted sheep milk exclusively in the Tatra 



Mountains region of Poland. Since 2007 Oscypek is a protected trade name under the EU's Protected Designation of Origin geographical indication.





Oscypek is made using salted sheep's milk, with the addition of cow's milk strictly regulated by the protected recipe. Unpasteurized salted sheep's milk is first turned into cottage cheese, which is then repeatedly rinsed with boiling water and squeezed. After this, the mass is pressed into wooden, spindle-shaped forms in decorative shapes. The forms are then placed in a brine-filled barrel for a night or two, after which they are placed close to the roof in a special wooden hut and cured in hot smoke for up to 14 days.
The first mention of cheese production in the Tatra Mountains dates back to the 15th century, in a document from the village of Ochotnica in 1416. The first recorded recipe for oscypek was issued in 1748 in the Żywiec area. which is 70 km from my place.





Help yourself..

12 comments:

  1. Hmm, not sure. Just a tiny piece please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to try this, and love the packaging!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! the shapes and designs are impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with TexWis about the shapes and designs. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never seen this before! I would try some for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Something different from what I'm used to...how great to make it look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love smoked cheese. This is amazing the patterns in the cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bread looks tasty. The designs are eye catching. Must be hard to limit yourself to only a few. Or is it?

    ReplyDelete