17th October 2014
Between the Cloth Hall and the Church of St. Mary on Main Market Square, there is a monument commemorating the great Polish poet from the 19th century - Adam Mickiewicz. The poet helped the Poles to survive partition of Poland and his poetry was a source of national remembrance and national identity.
Mickiewicz has never been to Cracow, but after he died his remains were transferred to Cracow, and he was buried in the poet's inside the cathedral.
After WWII, it was reconstructed in 1955.
Political gatherings often take place around the statue, and students also come here before their final exams.